Image Hijack Sketches

 I was tasked to use the Photoshop knowledge I have acquired to "hijack" famous photos/artworks for the purpose of my own political concerns. I will be approaching this as a political artwork and will therefore try to make my point obvious and perhaps ironic.

The first political issue I will be considering is US National Security/War. With the (potential) Cold War with China, the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and the chinese balloon incident, my mind has been on national security recently. I don't think I'm alone in this, but I could understand if some people don't think twice about it. We live in a fast-paced society that doesn't really leave a lot of time to sit and consider the gravity of our situations. In order to highlight my worry, I will be using a photo of a happy family having a picnic with either violence or suggestions of violence going on around them. 


(Sorry in advance for my crude sketches. They may be more like doodles than sketches, but I hope they convey my idea well enough.) My first sketch has the chinese balloon that was shot down in the top left corner in the sky watching the family. The second sketch has a mushroom cloud in the background. My third sketch has fighter jets racing across the sky. And my fourth sketch has a plane with a banner showing the nuclear symbol.


The next political issue that I would like to address is climate change. Given that oil companies have a lot to answer, I felt that it would be effective to show how out of place oil companies really are in an environment that thrives without the need for oil: the African safari.


My first sketch has the sun in the background replaced with the BP logo. The second sketch has a BP gas station positioned in the foreground on the left. The third sketch has a plane flying with a banner that reads "Brought to you by BP." And my final sketch has an oil drill in front of the sun.


The last issue that I would like to look at is discrimination/police brutality. It is something that is constantly getting coverage in the media and it can be easy to get used to. And I want to show people that it's not something that should be the norm by bringing this issue to the innocuous cartoon world of Winnie the Pooh. 


My first sketch shows a police officer on the right with his gun pointed at Winnie or Piglet (not sure who, yet). The second sketch has a sign similar to a stop sign that says " No Cartoons Allowed." My third sketch has the police officer standing with his back to his car with handcuffs ready to arrest them. My final sketch shows a brick wall that has a poster that reads "Cartoons out" in German (because this was the wording that was used during WWII).



I know that some of my ideas might be too dramatic or confusing, but I hope that with these sketches in hand I will be able to achieve an impactful and successful image hijack.








Comments